Baked Potato Soup
4 cups water
3 russet potatoes, cleaned & cubed
1 cup daiya cheddar shreds or your choice of vegan cheese
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsps vegetable boullion
2 tsps garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp himalayan salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Cashew “heavy cream”:
2 cups raw cashews
To make cashew cream; bring 2 cups of cashews in water to a boil. Then drain and add them to a pot and cover with water for 30 minutes. Drain them again and blend with 1 1/2 cups water until smooth. Pour in jar & refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large pot, saute garlic & onion with a little bit of oil or water until translucent and aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Then add potatoes, water, boullion, seasonings, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 cups cashew cream, vegan cheese and nutritional yeast.
- Combine well and use an immersion blender to create a creamier consistency while still leaving texture or wait until finished cooking and carefully pour some (about a 1/3) into a high speed blender & blend until smooth.
- Return to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve & enjoy!!